cost_sort vs cost_agg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andy Fan
Subject cost_sort vs cost_agg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Currently the cost_sort doesn't consider the number of columns to sort, which
means the cost of SELECT * FROM t ORDER BY a;  equals with the SELECT *
FROM t ORDER BY a, b; which is obviously wrong.  The impact of this is when we
choose the plan for SELECT DISTINCT * FROM t ORDER BY c between:

 Sort
   Sort Key: c
   ->  HashAggregate
         Group Key: c, a, b, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n

and

 Unique
   ->  Sort
         Sort Key: c, a, b, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n

Since "Sort (c)" has the same cost as  "Sort (c, a, b, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k,
l, m, n)", and Unique node on a sorted input is usually cheaper than
HashAggregate, so the later one will win usually which might bad at many
places.

My patch v1 did a simple improvement for cost_sort, which will consider the
number of cols to sort. The main part is below:

cost_sort:
Assert(numSortCols);
/* Include the default cost-per-comparison */
+ comparison_cost += (2.0 * cpu_operator_cost * numSortCols);

However it still chooses a wrong plan in the simple case below.

create table wcols (a int , b int, c int, d int, e int, f int, g int, h int, i
int, j int, k int, l int, m int, n int);

insert into wcols select i, i , i, i , i, i , i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i from
generate_series(1, 1000000)i;

select distinct * from wcols order by c;

Optimizer chose HashAggregate with my patch, but it takes 6s. after set
enable_hashagg = off, it takes 2s.

The main reason is both cost_sort and cost_agg doesn't consider the real hash
function or real sort function, they use cpu_operator_cost instead. If we really
want to fix this issue, shall we a). figure the real pg_proc.oid for sort and
hash during planning stage and costing with that? b). in cost_sort, we may
consider the nature order of input data for the ordered column as well?  c).
store the Oids in SortPath and AggPath to avoid the double calculation during
createPlan stage? or any better suggestion?

Thanks

--
Best Regards
Attachment