Questions about the CI process and proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andy Fan
Subject Questions about the CI process and proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi:
  I'm a brand new postgresql contributor(may be not yet since my first patch[1]
 is still in review stage). and have 2 questions about the CI process and to
 see if the questions really exist or if I can help.

  Based on the facts that  1).  The test cases may succeed locally but may be failed
in CI for some reasons.  2).  The newer version of the patch need to be submitted
with new a email reply.  3). Reviewer &  committer bandwidth is precious.  so it would
be not good to reply the email just for fix some tiny errors too many times.  so do we
need a method of updating patch without disturbing the email discussion? One proposal
is people still can updating their patch with pull request in github,  and our another CI
setup can watch the PR and trigger automatically.  Once it really succeed, the contributor
can generate these patch and send to email group for reviewers.

  Another question I have is do we need a method to let the contributor to interactively test
these code on the given environment?  I guess many people doesn't have a windows
environment.   We may be able to provide a windows on cloud and if people need that,
they can ask for an account (just live for a shorter period) with an email.

 In summary,  are the 2 questions above really questions?  If yes,  are my proposals good?
If yes,  I would like to help on either the software part or hardware part .  do we have other
requirements we can think together?

Regards Andy Fan.