Would preparing internally during XAResource.end(xid, TMSUCCESS) works? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Andy Fan
Subject Would preparing internally during XAResource.end(xid, TMSUCCESS) works?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi:

One of our customers is coming from Oracle and they use XAResource like
this.

xaResource1.start(xid, ..);
xaResource1.getConnection.doSomeDML();
xaResource1.end(xid, TMSUCCESS);

xaResource2.prepare(xid);

This works in Oracle but doesn't work in PostgreSQL's JDBC, since we have
to use the same XAResource instance to prepare the xid.

I know why we have to 'prepare transaction xxx' in the same connection for
PostgreSQL kernel. For now my question is:  can we do the 'prepare
transaction 'xxx'' during XAResource.end(xid, TMSUCCESS); and later in
XAResource2.prepare(xid), we can double check if it is prepared already,
if so we can just return XA_OK. the benefit of this is that the user doesn't
have to prepare in the same connection.

Asking customers not to do this is not an option in my case,
and I'm not asking our community to do so, I'm just asking what
would be wrong if we do so.

Any feedback is welcome,  Thanks!

--
Best Regards