Re: Proposal for col LIKE $1 with generic Plan - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andy Fan
Subject Re: Proposal for col LIKE $1 with generic Plan
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:15 AM Andy Fan <zhihui.fan1213@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks to the get_index_clause_from_support, we can use index for WHERE a like
'abc%' case. However this currently only works on custom plan. Think about the
case where the planning takes lots of time, custom plan will not give a good
result. so I want to see if we should support this for a generic plan as well.

The first step of this is we need to find an operator to present prefix is just
literal. which means '%' is just '%', not match any characters. After trying
'like' and '~' operator, I find none of them can be used. for example:

PREPARE s AS SELECT * FROM t WHERE a LIKE ('^' || $1);
EXECUTE s('%abc');

'%' is still a special character to match any characters.  So '~' is.  So I think
we need to define an new operator like text(a) ~^ text(b), which means a
is prefixed with b literally. For example:

'abc' ~^ 'ab` -> true
'abc' ~^ 'ab%' -> false

so the above case can be written as:

PREPARE s AS SELECT * FROM t WHERE a ~^ $1;

During the PoC coding, I found we already have ^@ operator for this [1], but
we don't implement that for BTree index so far.  So I will try gist index for my
current user case and come back to this thread later.  Thanks!

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180416155036.36070396%40wp.localdomain

--
Best Regards