Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Adam Brightwell
Subject Re: alter user/role CURRENT_USER
Date
List pgsql-hackers
All,

I agree that we should probably seperate the concerns here.  Personally,
I like the idea of being able to say "CURRENT_USER" in utility commands
to refer to the current user where a role would normally be expected, as
I could see it simplifying things for some applications, but that's a
new feature and independent of making role-vs-user cases more
consistent.

So, I've been doing a little digging and it would appear that the ALTER ROLE/USER consistency was brought up earlier in the year.

It was returned with feedback in Commitfest 2014-06 and apparently lost steam:

Tom put forward a suggestion for how to fix it:

I have taken that patch and updated the documentation (attached) and ran it through some cursory testing.

At any rate, this is probably a good starting point for those changes.

-Adam

--
Attachment