Was: BUG #13883: Very Important Facility - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vitaly Burovoy
Subject Was: BUG #13883: Very Important Facility
Date
List pgsql-general
On 1/25/16, djm7@nym.hush.com <djm7@nym.hush.com> wrote:
> Vitaly
>
> Thanks for the response. With 35 million users I am glad Joomla now
> supports postgreSQL. There are 10s of thousands of extensions but
> support there is lacking.
Unfortunately experience of Python with refactoring internal API from
version 2 to 3 shows that authors of extensions (especially big ones)
need years to change their code. And those Python versions are almost
the same language (there is a tool "2to3" out of the box)!
Fortunately if users regularly remind the authors that the new
behavior (or support of the new version) is important for them, things
change.

> Is it a lack of knowledge?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
It is the simplest way to support something single that you knows
well. But when you have to support different similar things you have
to have an extra abstract layer, complex testing tools (for each
different thing and often for cross-thing) etc. Also you can't use
advantages of the one database because it lacks in the other one (and
vice versa).
While Joomla doesn't have Postgres support, there is no reason for the
authors of extensions to deal with that DBMS.

> I will pass your advice onto the Akeeba team and I hope it spurs them on to do something.
> Maybe they will contact you if they need more help.
Welcome!

> Joomla has a list of extensions that you can download and install but
> there is no icon indicating postgreSQL support.
There is no icon indicating MySQL and MSSQL support too.
But anyone can find necessary information on the "Installing" page
("Requirements" block):
https://docs.joomla.org/J3.x:Installing_Joomla

> You only find out
> about the support when the error messages come. I have notified the
> Joomla team with this suggestion. That is as much as I can do to speed
> up PostgreSQL uptake in Joomla for now.
>
> Thanks for providing postgreSQL to us.
You are welcome.

--