Re: macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vitaly Burovoy
Subject Re: macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/12/16, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Julien Rouhaud wrote:

>> > Having macaddr64 support both formats sounds nice, but how does it
>> > work?
>> > Will we have to reserve one additional bit to select the
>> > representation?
>> > That would make the type be 65 bits which is a clear loser IMO.
>> >
>> > Is it allowed to just leave 16 bits as zeroes which would indicate that
>> > the address is EUI48?  I wouldn't think so ...
>>
>> From what I read, you can indicate it's an EUI-48 address by storing
>> FF:FF (or FF:FE for MAC-48) in 4th and 5th bytes of the EUI-64 address.
>
> That seems reasonable at first glance; so the new type would be able to
> store both 48-bit and 64-bit values, and there would be assignment casts
> in both directions

I think either "macaddr" should be renamed to "macaddr6" (saved its
oid), a new type "macaddr8" is added with introducing a new alias
"macaddr" or the current "macaddr" should accept both versions as the
"inet" type does.

The function "macaddr_recv" can distinguish them by the
StringInfoData.len member, "macaddr_in" - by number of parts split by
":".
The "macaddr_out" and "macaddr_send" can out 6 octets if the stored
value is mapped to MAC-48.
Storing can be done always as 8 bytes using the rule above.

In the other case there is hard from user's PoV to detect at the
design stage when it is necessary to define column as macaddr and when
to macaddr8.
If users need to update a column type (a new hardware appears with
EUI-64 address), they should keep in mind that all things are changed
for the new column type - stored procedure's parameters, application
code interacting with the DB etc.).
I don't agree with Tom's proposal to introduce a new type, it would be
inconvenient for users.

We have types "int2", "int4", "int8" and an alias "int" for a type
"int4", at least psql does not show it:
postgres=# \dT+ int                                   List of data typesSchema | Name | Internal name | Size | Elements
|Owner | Access

privileges | Description
--------+------+---------------+------+----------+-------+-------------------+-------------
(0 rows)

It is understandable to have 3 types for integers because most space
of the DB occupied by them and in the real life we just don't use big
numbers, but cases for "inet" and "macaddr" are different.

> and a suite of operators to enable interoperability
> of 48-bit values in macaddr8 with values in type macaddr.  Right?
>
> (The cast function from macaddr8 to macaddr would raise error if the
> 4th and 5th bytes are not either FF:FF or FF:FE -- I don't think we can
> in practice distinguish EUI-48 from MAC-48 in this context.

The wikipedia says[1] they are the same things but MAC-48 is an
obsolete term for a special case, so there is no necessary to
distinguish them.

> The cast in the other direction would have no restriction and should
> probably always use FF:FE).

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizationally_unique_identifier#48-bit_Media_Access_Control_Identifier_.28MAC-48.29
--