Re: Fast AT ADD COLUMN with DEFAULTs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vitaly Burovoy
Subject Re: Fast AT ADD COLUMN with DEFAULTs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/6/16, Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly.burovoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ough. I made a mistake about pg_attribute because I forgot about the
> pg_attrdef.
> If we do not merge these tables, the pg_attrdef is the best place to
> store evaluated expression as a constant the same way defaults are
> stored in adbin.

Oops. While I was writing the previous email, Tom explained necessity
of the pg_attrdef.
With that explanation it is obvious that I was wrong and a value for
pre-existing rows should be in a new column in the pg_attribute.
All the other thoughts from my previous email stand good.

--
Best regards,
Vitaly Burovoy