Re: Google Summer of Code: Potential Applicant - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christos Maris
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code: Potential Applicant
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

At first, I appreciate your insights Craig, but I think I will stick with AlgoDS ;)

Aleksander, I am mostly interested on the sorting algos benchmark and implementation one.
I will start writing a proposal soon enough. Do you have any project related insights as to what I should put in there?

Thanks a lot in advance!

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Aleksander Alekseev <a.alekseev@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
Hello everyone,

> > I am mostly interested in anything that requires C/C++ implementation and
> > AlgoDS.
> >
> > For that reason I would love to work in any of the following (in that
> > order of preference):
> >
> >    1. Sorting algorithms benchmark and implementation
> >    2. Enhancing amcheck for all AMs
> >    3. TOAST'ing in slices
> >    4. Thrift datatype support
> >
> Having recently worked with Thrift, I recommend ... don't use Thrift. The
> library is awkward to work with, it isn't very source-compatible across
> versions.
>
> Consider protobuf instead.

Craig, I believe you probably did something wrong if you had to work
with some library directly. Actually you generate classes from text
description and just use them. I worked with Thrift some time ago, in
2015 [1]. I wouldn't call it awkward. Protobuf is fine too, but
unfortunately we don't have any Protobuf-related projects this time.
Also it's probably worth noticing that the GSoC project doesn't imply
using any existing libraries, only the binary format which is quite
stable.

Christos, I appreciate your interest in the Thrift-related project. You
should know however that we already have a student interested in it [2].
Feel free to apply for it as well but in this case be prepared for a
little competition.

[1]: https://github.com/afiskon/scala-thrift-example/blob/master/src/test/scala/me/eax/examples/thrift/tests/BinaryProtocol.scala#L15
[2]: https://postgr.es/m/CA%2BSXE9sP1iHNp9_DFJzdbE0cszAA-QF8d-8GAUyoCA4q9KCsGw%40mail.gmail.com

--