Re: values not fitting in query result columns, and some ideas - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Murtuza Zabuawala
Subject Re: values not fitting in query result columns, and some ideas
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hello,

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 1:45 AM, Gene Thomas <gene@nlc.co.nz> wrote:

Murtuza,

  1. Re: value not fitting in columns.

There must be something that can be done.

select 12345678.1234567

For example displays as “5678.1234567” even though there is lots of space for the column.

Could it not expand the column width as values turn up that area wider than the existing column width as long as the total width is not say twice as wide as the sceen.

Elipsis is used to truncate text value, e.g. [long text…]. Could that not be used for numeric and integer values, rather than truncating the front, display from the start and use ellipsis, e.g. “12345678.12…” in the above exampled.

Due to on demand loading, ​we can not predict & hard code the size/width of each column based on it's content.
You can drag and resize the column width as per your need after you execute the query for the first time and pgAdmin4 will save the new width and displays all the consecutive results as per new column width.

  1. Re: option to displaying text in ‘quotes’.

The feature you are requesting will mislead other users, if the actual result will starts with quotes then user might face the problems in inserting/updating the data.

The value could be displayed using the quoting SQL uses, e.g: ’a’’b’ for “a’b”.

The values would only be for display, export to .csv would use the original values.

Presently there is no way to see leading or trailing spaces.

​Create a feature request for the same and let pgAdmin4 members to decide weather to implement the feature or not.

If the value starts with quotes does the user not need to ‘’ quote anyway, e.g. insert into message values (‘’’fred’ is his name’);

pgAdmin4 allows me to edit the values in the query results but does not update the database?

pgAdmin4 will allow you to save the data only if your table has primary key.​

  1. Transposed results.

Ignore this one, it’s useful for me on the command line but wouldn’t fit in a typical pgAdmin 4 screen layout.

  1. \d is feature of psql, if you want to see the database object definition quickly you can simply select the respective object in browser tree and select the SQL tab.

Navigating to Schemas/public/tables and scrolling down and across to the table is not quick.

\d is not valid SQL so could be used.

If \d took you to that page that would suffice.

I want to query and navigate rapidly around the database.

​Currently there is no other way to

​see the object definition in pgAdmin4. ​

Yours Sincerely,

Gene Thomas.