Re: PGadmin4 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Murtuza Zabuawala
Subject Re: PGadmin4
Date
List pgadmin-support
Hi Dave,

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Dave Caughey <caugheyd@gmail.com> wrote:
And my input on the subject of workflow...

For me, as a developer/maintainer/supporter, my number one points of interaction are via the Query Tool and the "View/Edit Data | Filtered Rows", the later of which is *the* most buried bit of functionality.

I realize everyone's needs are slightly different, but I am having a hard time believing that many of the fixed-items (Dashboard, Properties, SQL, Statistics, Dependencies, Dependents) are very commonly used on a day-to-day basis.   Maybe some people need to stay on top of the animated charts, but in my experience, once a DB is running on a suitable server, it doesn't require constant monitoring of Locks, Tuples in/out, etc.  And once the database has been deployed, there's very little need to see its Dependencies or Dependents or SQL, on a day-to-day basis.

But that functionality is actually the easiest to access... it's right there in the "toolbar".  Indeed you don't have to do anything to see the "Tuples In" animated chart because it's on the dashboard.  So, zero effort to get to infrequently-accessed functionality.

But what does get done, day-after-day, by anyone maintaining/supporting a database-driven application is looking up and tweaking a customer's records, or fixing a ill-planned migration, or planning out what will be affected by a potential new product feature... and the primary point of interest is (for me) the query tool and being able to see individual records.

But that's actually the most buried functionality.  Nested menus are a usability efficiency killer.   So, maximal effort to get to frequently-accessed functionality

*My* view of a perfect workflow would be to drill down to a table, and then have the "Filter Rows" interface (for the selected table) appear *instead* of the Dashboard/properties/sql/statistics/dependencies/dependents, so all I have to do is start typing and click execute.

I.e., make the frequently-accessed functionality as easy to access as possible, and let the infrequently-accessed functionality be a little less convenient to access.

Of course, I understand that other people may feel that the dashboard is their finger-on-the-pulse of their database, but that feels like it should be an option, just like you let people control which nodes they see in the "browser".
​You can close the Dashboard at anytime, Select 'Dashboard' tab and click on close button which on right side.
Inline image 1

​Thanks,
Murtuza​

Thanks for listening,