Re: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations areaccessed in a transaction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations areaccessed in a transaction
Date
In response to RE: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations areaccessed in a transaction  ("Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com>)
Responses RE: Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations areaccessed in a transaction  ("Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 at 14:21, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> From: David Rowley [mailto:david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com]
> > I personally don't think that's true.  The only way you'll notice the
> > LockReleaseAll() overhead is to execute very fast queries with a
> > bloated lock table.  It's pretty hard to notice that a single 0.1ms
> > query is slow. You'll need to execute thousands of them before you'll
> > be able to measure it, and once you've done that, the lock shrink code
> > will have run and the query will be performing optimally again.
>
> Maybe so.  Will the difference be noticeable between plan_cache_mode=auto (default) and plan_cache_mode=custom?

For the use case we've been measuring with partitioned tables and the
generic plan generation causing a sudden spike in the number of
obtained locks, then having plan_cache_mode = force_custom_plan will
cause the lock table not to become bloated. I'm not sure there's
anything interesting to measure there. The only additional code that
gets executed is the hash_get_num_entries() and possibly
hash_get_max_bucket. Maybe it's worth swapping the order of those
calls since most of the time the entry will be 0 and the max bucket
count threshold won't be exceeded.