Re: Delay locking partitions during query execution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Delay locking partitions during query execution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 02:40, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit confused, because I can't reproduce any such speedup. I've
> used the attached script that varies the number of partitions (which
> worked quite nicely in the INSERT thread), but I'm getting results like
> this:
>
>     partitions      0       100     1000   10000
>     --------------------------------------------
>     master         49      1214      186      11
>     patched        53      1225      187      11
>
> So I don't see any significant speedup, for some reason :-(
>
> Before I start digging into this, is there something that needs to be
> done to enable it?

Thanks for looking at this.

One thing I seem to quite often forget to mention is that I was running with:

plan_cache_mode = force_generic_plan
max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 0;

Without changing plan_cache_mode then the planner would likely never
favour a generic plan since it will not appear to be very efficient
due to the lack of consideration to the costing of run-time partition
pruning.

Also, then with a generic plan, the planner will likely want to build
a parallel plan since it sees up to 10k partitions that need to be
scanned. max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 0 puts it right.

(Ideally, the planner would cost run-time pruning, but it's not quite
so simple for RANGE partitions with non-equality operators. Likely
we'll want to fix that one day, but that's not for here)