Re: "SELECT ... FROM DUAL" is not quite as silly as it appears - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: "SELECT ... FROM DUAL" is not quite as silly as it appears
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 at 22:31, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

> Stefan Keller wrote:
> > Pls. try to give DUAL a better name, since it's IMHO neither
> > self-explaining nor correct.
>
> I agree with the sentiment.
> On the other hand, people who migrate from Oracle might be happy if
> there is a DUAL table that allows them to migrate some of their
> statements unmodified.

hmm. You both know the table of that name exists only as part of a
regression test, right?  It'll just exist for a handful of
milliseconds during make check.

My comment about the poorly named table may have been a bit pedantic
as far as what a table in a test should be called, but I also felt a
bit of an urge to make a little bit of fun about having a table named
dual which always has just a single row. Knowing the reasons for
Oracle's naming of the table helps explain why they ended up with the
poorly named table. I didn't think that warranted us doing the same
thing, even if it's just a short-lived table inside a regression test.