Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise aggregation/grouping - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise aggregation/grouping
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 16 November 2017 at 05:57, Konstantin Knizhnik
<k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> The main problem IMHO is that there are a lot of different threads and
> patches related with this topic:(
> And it is very difficult to combine all of them together to achieve the
> final goal: efficient execution of OLAP queries on sharded table.
> It will be nice if somebody who is making the most contribution in this
> direction can somehow maintain it...
> I just faced with particular problem with our pg_shardman extension and now
> (thanks to your patch) I have some working solution for it.
> But certainly I prefer to have this support in mainstream version of
> Postgres.

I don't think it's fair to be asking about additional features on this
thread. It seems to me you're asking about two completely separate
features, with the aim of trying to solve your own problems.

It also looks to me that Jeevan has been clear on what his goals are
for this patch. Perhaps what you're asking for is a logical direction
to travel once this patch is committed, so I think, probably, the best
way to conduct what you're after here is to either:

a) Wait until this is committed and spin up your own thread about
you're proposed changes to allow the PARTIAL aggregate to be pushed
into the foreign server, or;
b) Spin up your own thread now, with reference to this patch as a
prerequisite to your own patch.

I agree that what you're talking about is quite exciting stuff, but
please, let's not talk about it here.

-- David Rowley                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services