Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: [RFC] Change the default of update_process_title to off
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5 August 2016 at 12:25, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> It seems that we could reach a consensus.  The patch is attached.  I'll add this to the next CommitFest.

+         The default is off on Windows
+         because the overhead is significant, and on on other platforms.

"than on other platforms"

But perhaps it's better written like:

+ This value defaults to "off" on Windows platforms due to the
platform's significant overhead for updating the process title.

+1 for this patch from me. I'd hate to think someone would quickly
dismiss Postgres on windows due to some low TPS caused by updating the
process title.

-- David Rowley                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services