Re: DataRow message for Integer(int4) returns result as text? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: DataRow message for Integer(int4) returns result as text?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 5:11 PM Tyler Brock <tyler.brock@gmail.com> wrote:
For sure, I’m thinking of it that way. Thanks for confirming.

What I don’t understand is that if I respond to psql with the RowDescription indicating the format code is 1 for binary (and encode it that way, with 4 bytes, in the DataRow) it doesn’t render the number in the results.

Please don't top-post.

psql is a command line program, the server is PostgreSQL or postgres.

I'm not familiar with interacting with the server in C or at the protocol level; I have no idea what that sentence is supposed to mean.  But RowDescription seems to be strictly informative so how would you "respond to psql with [it]"?

David J.