Re: [BUGS] BUG #14545: Unable to retrieve parameter mode 'VARIADIC' - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14545: Unable to retrieve parameter mode 'VARIADIC'
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I don't have access to an authoritative definition for what the allowed
> values for information_schema.parameters.parameter_mode are.​

SQL2011 saith

  CONSTRAINT PARAMETER_MODE_CHECK
    CHECK (
       PARAMETER_MODE IN
       ( 'IN', 'OUT', 'INOUT' ) ),

> The fact that our "VARIADIC" mode maps to "IN" on the information schema is
> not accidental.  The question is whether it is out-of-date.

Not that I can see.  SQL doesn't have VARIADIC, so there's no way to
represent that a parameter is variadic within the information_schema.

​Yeah, that is covered indirectly by:

"​A CREATE FUNCTION command is defined in SQL:1999 and later. The PostgreSQL version is similar but not fully compatible."

But VARIADIC is not specifically mentioned as being non-standard anywhere I stumbled across so getting a definitive answer from the docs wasn't possible.

David J.