Re: regclass and format('%I') - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: regclass and format('%I')
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday, March 15, 2015, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> ​IOW, as long as the output string matches: ^"(?:"{2})*"$ I do not see how
> it is possible ​for format to lay in a value at %I that is any more
> insecure than the current behavior.  If the input string already matches
> that pattern then it could be output as-is without any additional risk and
> with the positive benefit of making this case work as expected.  The broken
> case then exists when someone actually intends to name their identifier
> <"something"> which then correctly becomes <"""something"""> on output.

But that's exactly the problem: you just broke a case that used to work.
format('%I') is not supposed to guess at what the user intends; it is
supposed to produce a string that, after being passed through identifier
parsing (dequoting or downcasing), will match the input.  It is not
format's business to break that contract just because the input has
already got some double quotes in it.

An example of where this might be important is if you're trying to
construct a query with arbitrary column headers in the output.  You
can do
        format('... AS %I ...', ..., column_label, ...)
and be confident that the label will be exactly what you've got in
column_label.  This proposed change would break that for labels that
happen to already have double-quotes --- but who are we to say that
that can't have been what you wanted?

                        regards, tom lane

Ok, but that doesn't impact security.

Contracts can be amended to be more practical and what is being suggested is not as radical as you make it out to be.  I'm with Jason and dislike the "use %s" option and having a behavior of "quote if necessary" is not unreasonable.  Maybe it needs to be a different code for compatibility reasons.  In hindsight I'd make %Q the current unconditional quoting behavior and use %I for conditional quoting but using %Q for that now would at least make the behavior available.

David J.