Re: BUG #17537: Dynamically updating statement_timeout not affect the insert query right now. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #17537: Dynamically updating statement_timeout not affect the insert query right now.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Saturday, July 2, 2022, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      17537
Logged by:          Parachute Parachute
Email address:      teng_wang13@163.com
PostgreSQL version: 14.2
Operating system:   Ubuntu 18.04

As per the manual,
statement_timeout (integer)
Abort any statement that takes more than the specified amount of time. A
value of zero (the default) disables the timeout. The timeout is measured
from the time a command arrives at the server until it is completed by the
server.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/runtime-config-client.html

However, dynamically updating statement_timeout did not affect the insert
query right now.
I start up Postgres with statement_timeout set 0, which means disabling the
timeout. Then I insert 100000000 rows into a table, which finally takes
166498.487ms. During the insert operation, I consider the operation would
takes too much time. So I update statement_timeout to 10s in
postgresql.conf, and "select pg_reload_conf();" in another session to reload
configuration files.

I saw the logs showing the parameter was updated:
2022-07-03  [4229] LOG:  received SIGHUP, reloading configuration files
2022-07-03  [4229] LOG:  parameter "statement_timeout" changed to "1000"

However, the insert query did not been cancelled, and finally toke about
166s. I think that updating the timeout parameter should also affect the
operation in progress. Because an operation may sometimes take too long, but
it is not safe to interrupt it abruptly.

Not a bug.

Per the documentation:

“The configuration file is reread whenever the main server process receives a SIGHUP signal; this signal is most easily sent by running pg_ctl reload from the command line or by calling the SQL function pg_reload_conf(). The main server process also propagates this signal to all currently running server processes, so that existing sessions also adopt the new values (this will happen after they complete any currently-executing client command).”

Note the parenthetical.

If you want to cancel a running query you can do so directly (pg_cancel_backend function) changing a server default to do so makes no sense.

David J.