Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [patch] [doc] Minor variable related cleanup and rewording of plpgsql docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 12:49 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

čt 26. 11. 2020 v 6:41 odesílatel David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> napsal:
Hackers,

Bug # 16519 [1] is another report of confusion regarding trying to use parameters in improper locations - specifically the SET ROLE command within pl/pgsql.  I'm re-attaching the doc patch and am adding it to the commitfest.

I checked this patch, and I think so it is correct - my comments are just about enhancing by some examples

Thank you for the review.

v2 attached.

I added examples in the two places you noted.

Upon re-reading, I decided that opening up the section by including everything then fitting in parameters with an exception for utility commands (without previously/otherwise identifying them) forced some undesirable verbosity.  Instead, I opened up with the utility commands as the main body of non-result returning commands and then moved onto delete/insert/update non-returning cases when the subsequent paragraph regarding parameters can then refer to the second class (by way of excluding the first class).  This seems to flow better, IMO.

David J.

Attachment