Re: New version numbering practices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: New version numbering practices
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
> Right now git-describe --tags on a random revision between 9.4
> and 9.5 will print something like REL9_4_BETA1-1973-g85c25fd or
> something like REL9_5_BETA2-33-g55a2cc8 if it happens to be after a
> beta. It's really hard to tell what release the revision you're on is
> actually between from that.

That command is kinda useless AFAICT :-(

​Mostly as a function of a lack of definition as to what it wants to show.  It would be good to at least ensure that shared commit between master and a release branch is tagged on master.

git describe --tags REL9_6_BETA1~1 should show REL9_5_0 (or, e.g., REL9_5_GOLIVE if we cannot reasonably put the 9.5.0 tag on master) and not REL9_5_ALPHA1-*

David J.