Re: There is an invalid value for cidr type in the "Table 8.22. cidr Type Input Examples" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: There is an invalid value for cidr type in the "Table 8.22. cidr Type Input Examples"
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Mon, Aug 5, 2024 at 4:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

On the whole I'm inclined to do nothing here; these docs have to
satisfy a number of requirements, and "every example should be
copy-and-pasteable" doesn't seem like a good constraint to add.
Another idea perhaps could be to remove enough digits from the
example that it doesn't cause overwidth warnings in the PDF ---
but I'm not sure that's feasible in a 3-column table.  Or we
could just drop this one example.

Another option, write:
"Same as input."
in the other two columns - so one doesn't have to look closely at some 30 characters of hex to prove to themselves the inputs and outputs are indeed identical.

Would do it elsewhere for consistency - it also does make the case stand out which I think is a plus and part of the point of the table.

David J.