Re: [BUGS] BUG #13702: pg_dump interprets “=” in a db name incorrectly - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #13702: pg_dump interprets “=” in a db name incorrectly
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:56 PM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:34 PM, <felipe@felipegasper.com> wrote:

Bug reference:      13702

I’ve tried passing in “--”, but no joy. I tried passing “--dbname” then the
DB name, but pg_dump doesn’t seem to accept that argument.

"--dbname=..." ​Documented 9.3 and above​

The only working solution I have found is to set the DB name in PGDATABASE.

I found this in 9.0.18. Maybe it’s still a problem in supported releases,
too?

It was decided to make the database name in this situation be an abstract concept as opposed to strictly referring to a named database.  Because of this the equal sign has a special meaning that, apparently, cannot be overridden.

You may want to consider URI format - the following appears to work (9.3 tested)

psql postgres:///db=123
​​
>psql: FATAL: database "db=123" does not exist

​Actually, simply placing the actual name into any "conn info" context works (i.e., not just URI form)

psql dbname=db=123
>psql: FATAL: database "db=123" does not exist

David J.