Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Request - repeat value of \pset title during \watch interations
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Perhaps we should replace the "Watch every Ns" text by the user-given
>> title if a title has been set?  That would conserve screen space.

> ​The extra line doesn't both me and given the length of the timestamp I
> suspect many titles would cause the combined line length to exceed terminal
> width and cause wrapping anyway.  In my specific case it would though I am
> using an abnormally narrow width.

You speak as though the title will be chosen without any regard for the
context it's used in, which I rather doubt.  Wouldn't people pick the
title for a \watch query so that it fits?  (In any case they could
force the issue by including a \n in their title...)

​True that.

​I don't have a strong opinion either way.  Having a single, condensed, title line would be nice though using two in order to not be cryptic has its own appeal.

David J.