Re: [GENERAL] "Shared strings"-style table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [GENERAL] "Shared strings"-style table
Date
Re: [GENERAL] "Shared strings"-style table
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Seamus Abshere <seamus@abshere.net> wrote:
Theoretically / blue sky, could there be a table or column type that
transparently handles "shared strings" like this, reducing size on disk
at the cost of lookup overhead for all queries?

(I guess maybe it's like TOAST, but content-hashed and de-duped and not
only for large objects?)

Row-independence is baked into PostgreSQL pretty deeply...

I think an enum type is about as close are you are likely to get if you don't wish to setup your own foreign-key relationships with surrogate keys.

David J.