Re: role self-revocation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: role self-revocation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 6:55 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 5:14 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> This seems reasonable in isolation, but
>
> (1) it implies a persistent relationship between creating and created
> roles.  Whether you want to call that ownership or not, it sure walks
> and quacks like ownership.

I like my TENANT idea best, but I'm perfectly willing to call
it ownership as you seem to prefer or WITH ADMIN OPTION as Stephen
seems to prefer if one of those ideas gains consensus.

If WITH ADMIN OPTION is sufficient to meet our immediate goals I do not see the benefit of adding an ownership concept where there is not one today.  If added, I'd much rather have it be ownership as to fit in with the rest of the existing system rather than introduce an entirely new term.

If Alice creates non-superusers Bob and Charlie, and Charlie creates
Doug, we need the persistent relationship to know that Charlie is
allowed to drop Doug and Bob is not

The interesting question seems to be whether Alice can drop Doug, not whether Bob can.
It's more important
at this point to get agreement on the principles.

What are the principles you want to get agreement on and how do they differ from what we have in place today?  What are the proposed changes you would make to enforce the new principles.  Which principles are now obsolete and what do you want to do about the features that were built to enforce them (including backward compatibility concerns)?

David J.