Re: fixing CREATEROLE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: fixing CREATEROLE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 1:04 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not very certain about any of that stuff; I don't have a clear
mental model of how it should work, or even what exact problem we're
trying to solve. To me, the patches that I posted make sense as far as
they go, but I'm not under the illusion that they solve all the
problems in this area, or even that I understand what all of the
problems are.

I haven't yet formed a complete thought here but is there any reason we cannot convert the permission-like attributes to predefined roles?

pg_login
pg_replication
pg_bypassrls
pg_createdb
pg_createrole
pg_haspassword (password and valid until)
pg_hasconnlimit

Presently, attributes are never inherited, but having that be controlled via the INHERIT property of the grant seems desirable.

WITH ADMIN controls passing on of membership to other roles.

Example:
I have pg_createrole (set, noinherit, no with admin), pg_password (no set, inherit, no with admin), and pg_createdb (set, inherit, with admin), pg_login (no set, inherit, with admin)
Roles I create cannot be members of pg_createrole or pg_password but can be given pg_createdb and pg_login (this would be a way to enforce external authentication for roles created by me)
I can execute CREATE DATABASE due to inheriting pg_createdb
I must set role to pg_createrole in order to execute CREATE ROLE
Since I don't have admin on pg_createrole I cannot change my own set/inherit, but I could do that for pg_createdb

David J.