Re: About to add WAL write/fsync statistics to pg_stat_wal view - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: About to add WAL write/fsync statistics to pg_stat_wal view
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 4:37 PM Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

I agree with your comments. I think it should report when
reaching the end of WAL too. I add the code to report the stats
when finishing the current WAL segment file when timeout in the
main loop and when reaching the end of WAL.

The following is not an improvement:

- /* Send WAL statistics to the stats collector. */
+ /* Send WAL statistics to stats collector */

The word "the" there makes it proper English.  Your copy-pasting should have kept the existing good wording in the other locations rather than replace the existing location with the newly added incorrect wording.

This doesn't make sense:

* current WAL segment file to avoid loading stats collector.

Maybe "overloading" or "overwhelming"?

I see you removed the pgstat_send_wal(force) change.  The rest of my comments on the v6 patch still stand I believe.

David J.