Re: retrieving results of procedures with OUT params - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: retrieving results of procedures with OUT params
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Monday, September 2, 2024, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/libpq-exec.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/libpq-exec.html#LIBPQ-PQRESULTSTATUS
Existing text:
If the result status is PGRES_TUPLES_OK, PGRES_SINGLE_TUPLE, or
PGRES_TUPLES_CHUNK, then the functions described below can be used to
retrieve the rows returned by the query. Note that a SELECT command that
happens to retrieve zero rows still shows PGRES_TUPLES_OK. PGRES_COMMAND_OK
is for commands that can never return rows (INSERT or UPDATE without a
RETURNING clause, etc.). A response of PGRES_EMPTY_QUERY might indicate a
bug in the client software.
Add:
A successful call to a procedure with OUT parameters will set
PGRES_TUPLES_OK and return one row with the functions described below.

Defining whether a given SQL query is or is not going to return tuples is not the responsibility of this paragraph.  The documentation for CALL is where this knowledge is imparted.  I’m not hard set against adding something here but it also doesn’t really seem like a need.

If I were to do something I’d probably add “or a CALL of a procedure lacking OUT parameters, etc” as another example in the parenthetical talking about an omitted returning clause.

David J.