Re: search_path not reloaded via unix socket connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: search_path not reloaded via unix socket connections
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, September 17, 2015, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thursday, September 17, 2015, Kong Man <kong_mansatiansin@hotmail.com> wrote:
Can anybody explain why the search_path setting, with several config reloads, would not change via local connections?  We struggled with our production settings on Postgres 9.3 today, only to realize, after a while, that the search_path change actually took effect via TCP/IP, but not unix socket, connections ever since the first reload.

What Tom said...

Alternatively maybe your Unix socket sessions are long lived but your TCP/IP ones are not - potentially going through a pooler that refreshes sessions.  You need to describe more or provide repeatable evidence if we are to conclude that this is anything other than operator error.

Or not, since it does appear that the reload signal is propagated to active sessions and take effect after the most recent command finishes.

David J.