Re: [GENERAL] Using Variables in Queries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Using Variables in Queries
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 12:14 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
FROM  products,
      (values ('red widget'::text)) consts(target)
WHERE similarity(target, item_name) > 0.25
ORDER BY target <<-> item_name

PG 9.5 and up will flatten out cases like this to be exactly what you
wrote out longhand.

​Does it matter if the values expression is embedded in a CTE?​  I find the construct:

WITH constants AS (  VALUES (,,) )
SELECT * FROM tbl CROSS JOIN constants

nice as it keeps the constants at the top of the query string.  I presume pure style differences between using multiple from items and an explicit cross join.

David J.