Re: Unclear EOL - Mailing list pgsql-www

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Unclear EOL
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 09/05/2018 02:37 PM, David Fetter wrote:
Folks,

The EOLs listed in the table aren't super specific looking forward.

https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

Would it be OK to name the (planned) release date of the final minor
release in that table?

I'm asking because I've had some complaints from people who assume, I
believe reasonably, that that table represents the actual EOL and not
the current meaning of, "the date past which the date of the next
point release is planned to come out."

I am not getting that. If you look at 10:

Version Current minor   Supported First release date   EOL date
10      10.5            Yes       October 2017         October 2022

EOL of life is at the 5 years support stated. At that point no further releases will be done on it.

9.3:
September 2018

Minor Releases:

November 8th, 2018
February 14th, 2019
May 9th, 2019
August 8th, 2019

The point is that 9.3 supposedly goes out of support in November 2018 but the EOL Month is September, two months earlier.  If it truly ended in September the August release we just made would be the final one.  But now that its September the next one is final but won't happen for 2 months.

David J.