Re: Unclear EOL - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Unclear EOL
Date
List pgsql-www
On 09/05/2018 03:04 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
> <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>wrote:
>
>     On 09/05/2018 02:37 PM, David Fetter wrote:
>
>         Folks,
>
>         The EOLs listed in the table aren't super specific looking forward.
>
>         https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>         <https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/>
>
>         Would it be OK to name the (planned) release date of the final minor
>         release in that table?
>
>         I'm asking because I've had some complaints from people who
>         assume, I
>         believe reasonably, that that table represents the actual EOL
>         and not
>         the current meaning of, "the date past which the date of the next
>         point release is planned to come out."
>

>     I am not getting that. If you look at 10:
>
>     Version Current minor   Supported First release date   EOL date
>     10      10.5            Yes       October 2017         October 2022
>
>     EOL of life is at the 5 years support stated. At that point no
>     further releases will be done on it.
>

> 9.3:
> September 2018
>
> Minor Releases:
>
> November 8th, 2018
> February 14th, 2019
> May 9th, 2019
> August 8th, 2019
>
> The point is that 9.3 supposedly goes out of support in November 2018
> but the EOL Month is September, two months earlier.  If it truly ended
> in September the August release we just made would be the final one.
> But now that its September the next one is final but won't happen for 2
> months.

Yeah, I missed that on the versioning page. The thing is that the minor
release schedule is a suggestion that can be broken for security/severe
bug reasons. Counting on a fixed period after the EOL month is sort of
liking counting on stoppage time in football(soccer) to be a known value
ahead of time. I for one would not put money on it:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com