Re: Unclear EOL - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Unclear EOL
Date
Re: Unclear EOL  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-www
> On 09/05/2018 03:04 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>> The point is that 9.3 supposedly goes out of support in November 2018
>> but the EOL Month is September, two months earlier.  If it truly ended
>> in September the August release we just made would be the final one.
>> But now that its September the next one is final but won't happen for 2
>> months.

> Yeah, I missed that on the versioning page. The thing is that the minor
> release schedule is a suggestion that can be broken for security/severe
> bug reasons. Counting on a fixed period after the EOL month is sort of
> liking counting on stoppage time in football(soccer) to be a known value
> ahead of time. I for one would not put money on it:)

Right, it would be a mistake to modify this table on the basis of the
current schedule for minor releases.  Given the policy explanation above
the table, I think it's fine as-is ... though I agree with David that
the column heading should be "EOL month" not "EOL date", because "EOL
month" is the term used in the explanation.

Personally I'd also s/full support/support/ in the second para, because
it gives the impression that we have more than one level of "support"
for back branches.  We don't.

            regards, tom lane