Re: BUG #15242: JSON functions not recognizing JSON - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #15242: JSON functions not recognizing JSON
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thursday, June 14, 2018, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      15242
Logged by:          David
Email address:      david@daily-harvest.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.6
Operating system:   Mac / DBeaver

I get this error:   SQL Error [22023]: ERROR: cannot deconstruct an array as
an object

when running the statement below because the JSON_EACH function doesn't
recognize the JSON. If I remove the json_each function the query runs fine
and executes JSON_ARRAY_LENGTH on the same variable, even though both
functions take json.

WITH sample_text AS
(
SELECT TEXT '[{"id":11,"name":"Chocolate +
Blueberry","sku":"11-CHOBLU"},{"id":11,"name":"Chocolate +
Blueberry","sku":"11-CHOBLU"}]' AS txt
)
SELECT json_array_length(txt::json), json_each(txt::json) FROM sample_text

This is not a bug, nor is the behavior wrong.

json_each requires that the json being passed to it is a json object, not a json array.  The docs and the error message say as much.

As json_each outputs two columns, one with the key and the other with the value, and since arrays don't have keys, it follows that json_each would be unable to operate on them.

David J.