Re: Question on PostgreSQL DB behavior w.r.t JOIN and sort order. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Question on PostgreSQL DB behavior w.r.t JOIN and sort order.
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Monday, February 8, 2016, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:
On 02/08/2016 10:53 PM, Venkatesan, Sekhar wrote:

Yes. is there an option/configuration to tell the postgres optimizer/planner to generate plans to include the sort order instead of speed?

From: David G. Johnston [mailto:david.g.johnston@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 11:20 AM
To: Venkatesan, Sekhar
Cc: Tom Lane; pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Question on PostgreSQL DB behavior w.r.t JOIN and sort order.

On Monday, February 8, 2016, Venkatesan, Sekhar <sekhar.venkatesan@emc.com> wrote:

Is there a way to tell the optimizer to retain the sort order if that is possible please?

You mean, besides the ORDER BY clause?

David J.

Which order would that be?

I presume the order of the joining column(s) given the subject.  Not that it matters but I don't know how generalized the OP expects such a mechanic to ultimately function, or thinks it does from limited observations in a different database product.

David J.