Re: BUG #17810: Update from 13.09 to 13.10 breaks SQLs with VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: BUG #17810: Update from 13.09 to 13.10 breaks SQLs with VACUUM
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 11:42 AM Cherio <cherio@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you are working with a completely wrong mental model of what this change did.

You are right. My mental model of the change is a speculation, but this is only because the specifics of the change are not clarified anywhere.

From what you are saying I am deriving that transaction model is not affected, and the individual statements still run within their own atomic transactions when AutoCommit is enabled, it's just a limited set of commands (at the moment I am aware of VACUUM and .... ANALYZE???) can't be bundled with any other statements, because doing that blows up the new pipeline :)

BTW, why ANALYZE? I just tested ANALYZE and it seems to work without the need to be preceded with COMMIT.

Are VACUUM and ANALYZE the only commands that must be executed separately?
Again, is there at least a brief description of the scope of what was affected?
I believe I understand it better now but the picture is still made of bits and pieces glued with trial and error.

The commit that implemented this fix is here, it links to discussion:

As for your usage of "conn.setAutocommit(true)" - IIUC that is irrelevant to this entire discussion.  You've chosen to bundle up multiple statements into a single Statement.execute(string) call which obeys the rules of the simple query protocol - multiple statements:

Namely:

"When a simple Query message contains more than one SQL statement (separated by semicolons), those statements are executed as a single transaction, unless explicit transaction control commands are included to force a different behavior."

Now, per the documentation for Vacuum:

"VACUUM cannot be executed inside a transaction block."
And so per the documentation your script has always been invalid as written.

Is there room for improved communication on the minor-release change in behavior?  Probably.

As for discussing reverting this in the back-branches given new evidence and scenarios, that is possible and I've yet to go back and fully review that discussion thread in light of this new information.

David J.