Re: Seems to be impossible to set a NULL search_path - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Seems to be impossible to set a NULL search_path
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 10:02 PM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:

 The owner name | The *identifier* for the owner name
----------------+-------------------------------------
 Joe            | "Joe"

This is what I've been banging on about all the time. It seems that I'm the only person in the pgsql-general community who wants some proper terms of art

You might get a more trustworthy representation if this wasn't buried in a thread about NULL and search_path.

But even with that I'd probably say while there are people who might find the pureness of such a nomenclature to be appealing the project at this point has no need to seek such perfection in this area.

(as I used them in my column aliases) that let me say simply and clearly, why pg_proc.proowner::regrole gives a differently spelled answer than does pg_roles.role_name.

So you want "identifier" to be used whenever the printed or written value allows the usage of structural double quotes and "name" when it doesn't?

IOW, you seem to have a long-winded way of saying, for the following documentation paragraph:

"The input functions for these types allow whitespace between tokens, and will fold upper-case letters to lower case, except within double quotes; this is done to make the syntax rules similar to the way object names are written in SQL. Conversely, the output functions will use double quotes if needed to make the output be a valid SQL identifier."

Change "object names" to "object identifiers".

Feel free to tug on that string if you'd like, I'm not convinced enough that it is even incorrect and suspect that style of writing quite prevalent in the docs.  You'd need a larger sample size to argue with and propose fixes for before a patch would likely be considered.

David J.