Re: Document parameter count limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Document parameter count limit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 10:58 AM Corey Huinker <corey.huinker@gmail.com> wrote:

+    <entry>if you are reading this prepatorily, please redesign your query to use temporary tables or arrays</entry>

I agree with the documentation of this parameter.
I agree with dissuading anyone from attempting to change it
The wording is bordering on snark (however well deserved) and I think the voice is slightly off.

Alternate suggestion:

Queries approaching this limit usually can be refactored to use arrays or temporary tables, thus reducing parameter overhead.

The bit about parameter overhead appeals to the reader's desire for performance, rather than just focusing on "you shouldn't want this".

Yeah, the wording is a bit tongue-in-cheek.  Figured assuming a committer wants this at all we'd come up with better wording.  I like your suggestion.

David J.