Re: query, probably needs window functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: query, probably needs window functions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday, May 22, 2020, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
given, let's say:

create table person (id int not null, name varchar);
create table phone (id int not null, person_id int not null, number varchar);

select person.*, phone.number from person join phone on (person.id = phone.person_id) order by...

How would you get results where only the first row for a person was filled in, with rest of that person's phones showing blanks for those columns? I'm guessing that window functions provide this capability, but I don't know how.

If a left join doesn’t give you the answer you want you should probably provide exact input and output data that you are working with/toward.

David J.