Re: Inspect values of prepared statements - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Inspect values of prepared statements
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 4:17 PM, bricklen <bricklen@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
What I think we could do without too much trouble or overhead is to set
up errcontext data so that a failure like that could come with a CONTEXT
line like

ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type double precision: "A"
STATEMENT:  insert into x (a,b,c,d,e,f) VALUES ($1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6)
CONTEXT: reading parameter $2 for statement "foo"

I'm curious whether that would be enough information to solve your
problem.

I ran into this same problem a couple weeks ago, your suggestion above would have supplied enough information to debug the invalid input without having to jump through hoops at the application side.

​Agreed.  The times I encounter this I get hung up is figuring out which of 5 identically typed columns might be presenting the problem - typically because of an empty string error so searching is somewhat more tedious​.  If reporting the number is low-hanging fruit it is definitely worth picking off.

David J.