Re: pg_upgrade docs are confusing if PostgreSQL's versioningsystem/language isn't known to reader - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: pg_upgrade docs are confusing if PostgreSQL's versioningsystem/language isn't known to reader
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Friday, January 26, 2018, Jim Ryan <jim@room118solutions.com> wrote:
Hey Bruce,

Thanks for working on this, but wouldn't pg_upgrade be needed from 10.1 to 10.2?  Aren't those considered major versions, or am I misunderstanding?

The source of my (and potentially others) confusion is if from 9.1 to 9.2 is considered a major version change or not.  I think most users would assume from 9.x to 10.x is a major version change.  The ambiguity is in 9.x to 9.y.

Which is why we changed ;)

Starting with 10 the one and only value after the decimal is a minor version bug fix release.  The next major version will be 11.

Of versions beginning with 9 there were 7 major versions - 9.0 to 9.6; the third position value denoted the minor bug fix release.

pg-upgrade is only required for upgrading between major versions.

On our homeoage we list every major release that is currently supported.

David J.