Trying to avoid a simple temporary variable declaration in a pl/pgsql function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Trying to avoid a simple temporary variable declaration in a pl/pgsql function
Date
List pgsql-general
I know this could be written quite easily in sql but was wondering if it is possible in pl/pgsql.

CREATE FUNCTION test_func()
RETURNS text
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
AS $$
BEGIN
SELECT 'text_to_return' INTO <what_goes_here?>; --with or without a cast
RETURN <what_goes_here?>;
END;
$$;

The goal is to return the value of text_to_return without declaring an explicit variable to name in the INTO clause.

I thought there was an implicit variable available to me but cannot figure out what it is nor find it in the documentation.

Using 9.3 but figuring if it is possible its likely the same in all supported releases...

Thanks!

David J.