Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 2:52 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
>> John R Pierce wrote:
>>> analyze has arguably fewer side effects, its a performance enhancement,
>>> its neither altering the schema or changing the data.

>> In a production environment you don't want a user to change your table
>> statistics.
>>
>> They could just set default_statistics_target to something stupid,
>> run ANALYZE and wreck the statistics for everyone.
>> And then come back to the DBA and complain that things don't work.
>>
>> We have a policy that users are not table owners, and with the
>> current behaviour we can be certain that any bad table statistics
>> are the fault of the DBA or wrong configuration.

> ​Setting default_statistics_target and running ANALYZE are two entirely different things.

Setting default_statistics_target affects the statistics computed by ANALYZE,
so I cannot follow you here.

​Just because I can run ANALYZE doesn't mean I should be able to update the statistic targets.  While the features are related the permissions are not.

David J.