Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive
Date
Re: Only owners can ANALYZE tables...seems overly restrictive  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
David G. Johnston wrote:

>>> ​Setting default_statistics_target and running ANALYZE are two entirely different things.

>> Setting default_statistics_target affects the statistics computed by ANALYZE,
>> so I cannot follow you here.

> ​Just because I can run ANALYZE doesn't mean I should be able to update the statistic targets.  While
> the features are related the permissions are not.

See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/planner-stats.html

"The amount of information stored in pg_statistic by ANALYZE, in particular the
 maximum number of entries in the most_common_vals and histogram_bounds arrays
 for each column, can be set on a column-by-column basis using the
 ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS command, or globally by setting the
 default_statistics_target configuration variable."

Being able to run ANALYZE on a table in no way implies that ​I should be allowed to run ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS on the same.

Only table owners should be allowed to execute ALTER TABLE while, in my opinion, anyone with write capabilities on a table should be allowed to execute ANALYZE.​  I would accept a GRANT permission if that could get committed but I find the status-quo mildly annoying.

David J.