Re: Documentation for alternate names of functions - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: Documentation for alternate names of functions
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 2:17 PM, Daniel Cory <dcory@tableau.com> wrote:

Can we document that “pow” is the same as “power”? It is not listed on https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-math.html, even though both “ceil” and “ceiling” are listed.

For aliased function names for which only one is SQL standard we should denote which one.  This particular alias seems worthy of inclusion.

Can we document “int4larger” and related functions? They are similar to the greatest/least functions but not listed on https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-conditional.html#FUNCTIONS-GREATEST-LEAST

I don't see the point of exposing this implementation detail when the greatest/least expressions (i.e., they don't appear under \df), though non-standard, are what users are encouraged to use.  Not sure we'd turn down a patch but its not something I'd expect to get picked up in a timely fashion.

David J.