Re: [HACKERS] [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternativehosts when some errors occur - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternativehosts when some errors occur
Date
In response to Re: [HACKERS] [bug fix] PG10: libpq doesn't connect to alternativehosts when some errors occur  ("Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Robert Haas
> Who is right is a judgement call, but I don't think it's self-evident that
> users want to ignore anything and everything that might have gone wrong
> with the connection to the first server, rather than only those things which
> resemble a down server.  It seems quite possible to me that if we had defined
> it as you are proposing, somebody would now be arguing for a behavior change
> in the other direction.

Judgment call... so, I understood that it's a matter of choosing between helping to detect configuration errors early or service continuity.

​This is how I've been reading this thread and I'm tending to agree with prioritizing service continuity ​over configuration error detection.  As a client if I have an alternative that ends up working I don't really care whose fault it is that the earlier options weren't.  I don't have enough experience to think up plausible scenarios here but I'm sold on the theory.

David J.