Re: pg_restore to new database wants to wipe out the old database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: pg_restore to new database wants to wipe out the old database?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 3:09 PM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

v9.6.9

Why is pg_restore trying to drop my production database, when I (think I) am telling it to create the new database "Molson"?

Straight from the pg_restore documentation:

-C

"When this option is used, the database named with -d is used only to issue the initial DROP DATABASE and CREATE DATABASE commands. All data is restored into the database name that appears in the archive."

Also
" pg_restore -vcC --if-exists --jobs=8 -d postgres Molson "

pg_restore [connection-option...] [option...] [filename]

"Molson" is a file name; pg_restore doesn't use the file name aside from finding where the data you want to restore is located.

David J.