Re: discovering types - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From David G. Johnston
Subject Re: discovering types
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wednesday, August 12, 2020, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/datatype.html

Thank you for perfect documentation. Please add subchapter about discovering
types. Themes like List all available types, Get type of column with
pg_typeof() function, with sql into information_schema.columns, with psql \d
command etc.,
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3827828/how-to-check-type-of-value-in-postgres.
Thank you in advance, Hans

Doesn’t seem worth the effort.  The documentation is the best discovery resource while whatever admin tool one uses, psql in core, provides info about schema columns.  pg_typeof is documented but seldom useful.  Maybe a cross-reference to it is warranted elsewhere but adding a complete sub-section for this topic seems a bit much.

If one were to submit such a patch I’d consider it but its not something that I consider as a existing omission.

David J.